7 Simple Habits That Will Immediately Improve Your Life
Many people fall into the trap of getting too ambitious with their daily habits. They want to meditate, go for a run, walk the dog and whip up a healthy breakfast—all before heading to work. That’s all well and good, but whether those are reasonable expectations is a whole different story. The habits that require practically zero time or effort are the ones that will make the greatest impact on your life.
Good habits and great outcomes start small and become second-nature. Begin the journey to a happier life with these simple yet effective daily habits.
- Chug a glass of water in the morning: You’re dehydrated the most when you first wake up. It makes sense, considering your body just went eight hours without food or water! Replenish what you lost overnight by downing a glass of water right away. The cool, refreshing water will help kickstart your day by offering a jolt of energy. Proper hydration makes you feel more awake and boosts cognitive function, which is exactly what you need to tackle a long work day.
- Schedule daily mindful moments: Mindfulness simply means you’re present in the here and now. We’re all faced with plenty of opportunities to practice mindfulness if we know how to look for them. Identify daily tasks that don’t require a ton of brain power like commuting to work, taking a shower or walking the dog. Whatever it is, be present in the moment. Mindfulness is not only super easy, it also relieves stress and teaches you to savor the little joys in life.
- Dedicate a few minutes to gratitude: At some point in your day, reflect on at least one thing you’re grateful for. When life gets you down, it’s easy to focus on the negatives. But when you really think about it, gratitude is all around you. You could be grateful for something big like a job promotion or something small like the coffee your coworker brought to work. A few minutes of daily gratitude goes a long way in reducing anxiety and boosting your overall happiness.
- Bust out a high intensity session: People often believe they have to set aside lots of time for exercise. That’s why many fall short of their fitness goals for the year. The good news is, you can get your sweat on within ten minutes or less! High intensity drills involve quick bursts of energy with brief cool down periods in between. The drills are hard work, but they’re perfect for people who are busy or like to spend as little time as possible on exercise.
- Work on a task for five minutes: We’ve all procrastinated at some point. For many, it’s a problem they struggle with on a daily basis. Overcome procrastination and get more work done by practicing the five-minute rule. Next time you’re tempted to put off a task, tell yourself you only have to work on it for five minutes. Chances are, you’ll work for way longer than five minutes! That time interval is designed to put you in the right mindset and build up the momentum to carry you through the entire task.
- Replace social media with something else: No one’s saying you have to go cold turkey on social media. However, you can significantly improve your mood and self-worth by filling that spare time with alternative activities. Waiting in line is the perfect chance to fit in your mindfulness or gratitude for the day. Instead of scrolling through news feeds at home, read a captivating book or spend the evening with loved ones.
- Boost confidence with a power pose: The key to confidence is simple—fake it till you make it! One way to instantly feel more confident is by striking a power pose. Stand like Superman with fists on your hips, or pretend you’re a model posing for the camera. Power poses might sound silly, but you’d be surprised how much they calm your nerves and make you feel ready for anything. The best time to practice a power pose is right before stressful events like a presentation at work.
When you’re looking to improve your life, start small. People often think achieving confidence, happiness and productivity involves huge life changes. But going to extremes will quickly land you back where you started. Positive mental states are a journey, not a destination. Every day has its ups and downs, but a few simple habits can help you turn it around! Try any (or all) of the seven tips listed above.